So, in a week I journey to Tybee Island with three wonderful women and simply be.
Be there, be drunk, be adventurous, be cold, be held, be in love with life.
There is something to be said for being in the company of women. Now, that I have reached the ripe old age of 41, I value the thoughts and souls of females who truely enjoy being together.
It's connection of lifetimes of experiences. Validation that you are not crazy. Solutions for issues you have endured. And acceptance. Especially acceptance.
Oh, that I could get girls in middle school to feel a little of this --those crazy alpha girls would calm the hell down. But more importantly, the decades to come would be filled with women who evolved from strong supportive friendships.
Now, I have a friend who is searching for her soulmate. A man to share her life with, to listen to her words, understand her needs and be there for her. And I tell her there is no man who can fit that bill.
What she fails to see is that strong friendships give you that. Sure there is no sex, but for me that seems to complicate matters. And isn't that what men do best? But I digress.
I have never believed in marrying your soul mate. Our lives are filled with responsibilities that come with creation. That alone seperates the girls for the boys.
For me, I love my husband. Truely, madly deeply. But no man could take the place of the lasting love of my girlfriends. They endure as men float in and out, as I travel from job to job, as children come, grow and go.
My friends. Love is all we need.
Monday, October 31
In the company of women
at
7:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment