
As many of you have probably heard, ABC News anchor and veteran correspondent Peter Jennings lost his battle to lung cancer last night in NYC. His family was by his side and was quoted as saying he knew "he had lived a good life." He was 67 years young.
For me this is a personal loss.
More than 25 years ago, when I was in high school , I began to think about what to do with my life. At the same time, my favorite ABC news anchor/correspondent Peter Jennings, then based in London, was tapped to take over Frank Reynolds post as lead person for the nightly news.
In those days, I loved the nightly news -- what I consider the first reality TV show to this day, even though now it has a decidedly tabloid spin. Nightly news was the immediate connection I had to the world -- before the Internet became the thread that connects us all now.
Peter was so awesome. Not because of his good looks, his calm poise, and his Canadian accent. He took the time to put news in a perspective that made things make sense to you, from your home, in your chair in Anywhere, America.
He was my first introduction to the ongoing struggle in the Middle East. He made my political science classes in college make sense. He showed me a world where things are not what they seem, and if you take the time to understand how we get to conflict, you won't know how to solve it, but you will understand what all the fuss is about. And that's a first step.
Peter Jennings was part of a fire that made me want to know more, to be a reporter, and to learn about all things that sparked my interest.
I left my first love, journalism, to pursue a greater calling --parenthood -- but my devotion to Peter and the wonder he brought to my home every night never waivered. I have missed his calm voice, like an uncle during a church service, explaining what's going on while he places his comforting hand on your shoulder. A quiet whisper while your world changes again and again.
My world was changed because of Peter. And I will miss him.
Related Links
For information about Jennings life and career please check out the ABC News Retrospective.
For more information about the deadly and aggressive nature of lung cancer, please visit WebMD's Understanding Lung Cancer.
Peter Jennings image courtesy ABC News.
Monday, August 8
Peter Jennings
at
8:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I'll miss him too. He didn't inspire me to journalism, but he was as much a part of my nightly routine as the salt shaker on the table, and he held my hand through all the major world events of the past 25 years or so. So sad.
Post a Comment